SBO Elections Assembly

So, my brother-in-law Matthew is running for student body vice president, and today was the elections assembly. Since we're in such close proximity to the high school, we had nothing else to do, and I wanted to support Matthew, I decided to grab Jacqui and go. It's kind of silly, the emotions that you can feel in that sort of environment. Some kids were so hilarious, I found myself wishing I were still in high school so that I could be their friend. Some kids made me glad that I've been graduated for almost 10 years. The thing that was most interesting to me is that the kids are so different now. Now, I know this will sound strange to some people, but the popular kids when I was in high school were all big dorks. That's what made them so cool! Everyone loved them for that. And another thing, they were all really kind, really awesome and squeaky clean. They weren't (at least not most of them) handsome, muscle-y, jock types with white fakey smiles. And I mean that as a complement! This assembly had some awesome kids, don't get me wrong, but it did cause me to once again think about how thankful I am for the people I grew up with. I'm sure none of them will ever read this post, but if they ever do, I would just like to say, you are awesome. Out of all the people I've met, in the different places I've been, I always come back to the people I knew in high school as the ones who had the biggest impact on me and my character. They changed my opinion of what was popular and who I should become and I will be forever grateful. To my great brother-in-law Matthew, three things..The first thing I have to say is this--- Thank you for not just standing up and shaking your backside at the audience for two minutes in order to get elected, second, thank you for actually being in your own skit (yes, there were kids who weren't), and third, you remind me of the kids I grew up with, and I mean that as a very high complement.

Comments

Liz the Manley said…
I should have gone to your high school...the popular people in my school were the kids who came from well to do families who liked to through their family ties around...hope all goes well for Matthew!!
Sarah said…
Matthew did end up getting elected as student body vice president. Congrats, Matthew!