A Recipe...
I frequently get asked for vegetarian recipes, and I'm never quite sure what to tell people. For me, the easiest way to cook vegetarian is just to leave the meat out. I'm also rather intuitive in my cooking, so I rarely follow a recipe (unless I'm baking..that's another story). I like to just throw in a little of this and a little of that. So, I have a goal that when I make something good I'm going to try to post a recipe. This recipe is adapted from a recipe for chicken rolls that I loved as a child. So, here goes....my first made-up posted recipe....
Mushroom Pillows
1 box cream cheese
2 stalk celery, finely chopped
3 green onions, finely chopped
1/3 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
1 package sliced mushrooms (any variety)
1 cup walnuts, very finely chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 stick plus 2 tbsp. butter
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
3 cans crescent rolls sheets (uncut)
Sauté mushrooms in 2 tbsp. butter until they look like mushrooms from a can (this is how I tell they are done...). Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes more, set aside.
In a bowl mix cream cheese, celery, onions, parsley, spinach, walnuts, salt and 1/2 sauteed mushrooms and garlic (other 1/2 is used for gravy, recipe follows). Add additional seasonings to taste. (This can also be done in a food processor, just save out the walnuts and mushrooms to stir in at the end. This makes it have a better texture.)
Unroll crescent roll sheets and cut into 6 (fairly) equal squares with a pizza cutter. Place approximately 1/3 cup of cream cheese mixture in the middle of each square. Fold corners of square into the center, overlapping. Pinch any openings closed, so it forms a "pillow".
Melt remaining stick of butter in a shallow dish. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow dish. Dip each pillow in butter, and then cover in bread crumbs. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until pillows have begun to turn golden on top. Makes 18.
Serve with brown rice and mushroom gravy.
Mushroom Gravy
(In a pinch, you can substitute a can of cream of mushroom soup+milk)
Take 1/2 mushroom garlic mixture from recipe above (still in sauté pan). Add to it 1 tsp. salt and 1 small container of sour cream. Add milk until mixture reaches desired gravy consistency. Season to taste. Serve over mushroom pillows.
Mushroom Pillows
1 box cream cheese
2 stalk celery, finely chopped
3 green onions, finely chopped
1/3 cup Italian parsley, finely chopped
1 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
1 package sliced mushrooms (any variety)
1 cup walnuts, very finely chopped
1 tsp. salt
1 stick plus 2 tbsp. butter
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
3 cans crescent rolls sheets (uncut)
Sauté mushrooms in 2 tbsp. butter until they look like mushrooms from a can (this is how I tell they are done...). Add garlic and sauté 1-2 minutes more, set aside.
In a bowl mix cream cheese, celery, onions, parsley, spinach, walnuts, salt and 1/2 sauteed mushrooms and garlic (other 1/2 is used for gravy, recipe follows). Add additional seasonings to taste. (This can also be done in a food processor, just save out the walnuts and mushrooms to stir in at the end. This makes it have a better texture.)
Unroll crescent roll sheets and cut into 6 (fairly) equal squares with a pizza cutter. Place approximately 1/3 cup of cream cheese mixture in the middle of each square. Fold corners of square into the center, overlapping. Pinch any openings closed, so it forms a "pillow".
Melt remaining stick of butter in a shallow dish. Place bread crumbs in a separate shallow dish. Dip each pillow in butter, and then cover in bread crumbs. Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or until pillows have begun to turn golden on top. Makes 18.
Serve with brown rice and mushroom gravy.
Mushroom Gravy
(In a pinch, you can substitute a can of cream of mushroom soup+milk)
Take 1/2 mushroom garlic mixture from recipe above (still in sauté pan). Add to it 1 tsp. salt and 1 small container of sour cream. Add milk until mixture reaches desired gravy consistency. Season to taste. Serve over mushroom pillows.
Comments