Something to Think About

I love new challenges.  Especially ones that are supposed to make me better.  That's the challenge I took on last year when I decided to become vegetarian.  So, I've been looking for a new challenge.  I've thought about a few things.....going vegan, cutting my hair super super short, and a few other good, and silly things.  The problem is that it has to be a good fit for my family too.  Believe it or not, the vegetarian thing hasn't actually been a problem with them.  So, as I was checking my email yesterday, I came across a news story on Yahoo!, and it led me to a link that is very interesting.  Check out http://www.rowdykittens.com.  This woman and her husband decided to downsize a ton.  They live with only things they need.  By doing this they've realized how possessions can take over our lives, and when we're free from them, we actually have more time to focus on things that really matter.  Turns out, they got the idea from another great website worth checking out, http://www.guynameddave.com/100-thing-challenge.html.  This guy decided to live for one year with only 100 personal possessions.  So this idea is very interesting to me.  I'm not sure if it's going to become my challenge for the coming year, but we'll see.  This could be great from so many angles--it fights consumerism, saves money, saves time (cleaning up all your crap), could bring families closer together, helps you prioritize, and could even bring one closer to God.  So, maybe it would be worth it.  What do YOU think?

Comments

Cami said…
You should try the wardrobe challenge: 6 items or less. The idea is to pick 6 clothing items and wear them for an entire month (don't worry, you can wash them). I think I may try it after my baby is born. Good luck with your challenges!
Sarah said…
Do Sunday clothes count? Thanks for the suggestion. When I think about doing it, I'm not sure I could. Only 6 items? I'd have to do more laundry. I'm not sure I could afford it. We have to do coin-op again, now that we're back in an apartment for grad school. Maybe when we're done and in a house with a washer and dryer again.